For InnoEnergy an innovation project is a research and development project with a goal of developing a product or service to be sold on the market. The projects we support cover a diverse range of solutions and approaches to energy sustainability, and cover the entire energy value chain from resources and fuels to generation, transmission, and distribution to consumption. Each represents the transformation of available knowledge into a new technology, product or service with a positive impact on Europe’s energy industry. Individual projects start life in many places. They can be an important development for an existing small or medium-sized company, or the driving force behind the establishment of a new start-up. They can have their roots in a major research institute, the R&D department of a major European enterprise, or as a subject of doctoral research within a university. However, all projects have certain characteristics in common:
- They are based on tested prototypes that demonstrate strong commercial viability.
- They already have a prototype or proof of concept at technology readiness level (TRL) five or more.
- The proposed product, service or solution has an expected time to market of five years or less.
- The subject of the project falls under the remit of one of our eight thematic fields.
- They bring together skills, experience, knowledge and connections in a consortium of three to seven European partners.
- They want to minimise the risks of product development and maximise the chance of successful market entry.
- They last a maximum of three years.